Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Time for Me & God

Well this is a topic about which I've read a little lately on other's blogs (Confessions of a Homeschooler and Granola Mom 4 God). It is always interesting and encouraging to find out that other people have the same struggles I do. Thinking I am sub-par in the "quiet time" area, compared to other moms who are keeping up with blogs, creating all sorts of curriculum and printables, and raising and teaching more kids than I have... I find that we are all the same when it comes to this real issue of spending time alone with the Lord, studying/meditating on His Word, and praying. It is something I go through in phases, depending on my schedule, the stage in life my kids are in, and even my own "dry spells" and complacency. I have found that if I can come up with (and keep) a schedule that I adhere to almost daily, then I am more likely to have this quality time in the Bible. I love schedules because they help me stay organized, remember what comes next, and give me a visual of what my day should look like.

Within the past 3 months, I have found that the schedule for my Time for Me & God works best after lunch when Lively goes down for a nap. I can put some cartoons on for Cutlet and settle down for a nice hour of relaxation, Bible reading, and communication with my Father. Right now this happens in my room, on my bed. We are still living with my in-laws after returning to the USA from Peru in mid-December. Once we get into our own house (sometime after summer???), then we'll see if my locale changes. But for now, it's great!

I have decided that I will pick a book of the Bible and just go through it, reading a bit each day, and really trying to focus on everything the passage is saying, referring to footnotes and other Scripture to help me gain a better understanding of what is being communicated. Currently I am working through Nehemiah, and it has been absolutely wonderful... with many timely, applicable themes to my life right now. It is a thought-provoking experience, and I am loving it!

No comments: