Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Quick Mexican Cheese Enchiladas


Alright, so I don't know if this looks appetizing to you or not, but it was really super delicious! While I was preparing it I realized that while I thought I'd made this before, it was actually a new recipe for us. And that's always cause for concern around here because Hubby is not a fan of my experiments! Anyway, I know he loves cheese enchiladas, so I figured I couldn't be too far away from an enjoyable meal. (and how can you ever go wrong with LOTS of cheese?!?) 

So I'm posting this meal because I was incredibly surprised at how quick and EASY this was and thought of all you busy folks (homeschoolers or not!). We are in the midst of getting our furniture ready to ship back to the States, and I was running around helping Hubby. Time was getting away from me and I really didn't know if I could pull this nice, hearty meal off by lunchtime. I was almost resigned to just making PB&J, but I figured we needed something more substantial to keep our energy level up.

Anyway, for all of you who have easy access to those American/Tex-Mex staples, such as tortillas, cream of chicken soup and sour cream, this should be very easy. Here in the Peruvian jungle area we have none of these things available ready-made. So if we want it, we have to home-make it! Fortunately, I had a batch of cream of chicken soup in the freezer, a small can of crema de leche, which I mix with about a tablespoon of vinegar to make sour cream, and I'd had my maid make a batch of flour tortillas the week before. So I was good to go! (By the way, I halved this recipe and it turned out just right for our small family). Oh, also we don't have green chili peppers here. We have a yellow pepper, and that is what I used. 

I found this recipe at Food.com...

Ingredients
12 flour (or corn) tortillas
1/2 pound to 1 pound cheddar cheese (we can't get cheddar here, so I used Edam)

Sauce
8 oz. sour cream
4 oz. chopped green chili peppers
4-6 green onions, chopped (including 2 or 3 inches of the stem)
1 (8 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup enchilada sauce (which we can't get here either! Below find a quick recipe for this*)

Garnish
salsa
sour cream
green onion

Directions:
1. For sauce, combine sour cream, peppers, green onions, soup and enchilada sauce.
2. Spread a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
3. Place a small amount of grated cheese in each tortilla, reserving some for the topping. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Pour on remaining sauce, covering all tortillas.
4. Sprinkle top with more cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes til cheese is bubbly.

*Enchilada Sauce Recipe
Put a sauce pan on a medium-heat burner and mix together:
4 T corn oil
6 T flour
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
3 T chili powder
1/8 tsp red pepper
3/4 tsp garlic powder

My total prep time was just under half an hour and I just popped it into a preheated oven. When we sat down to lunch, Hubby asked, "Did you just make this?" (read: impressed with how quickly I put a hot meal on the table with everything else I was doing). "It's pretty good!" 

...I'll take that as a sign that it can become a regular in our menu rotation now :-)

No comments: